Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Update

So I have neglected this blog for long enough. I haven't posted because I have forgotten about it and before that I didn't think I had anything new to post. So much has happened in the last year though and it seems as if things just keep happening. So here is an update. In the last year we moved from Las Vegas back to Utah. For the first 5 months we stayed at Jordon's mom's house while we got jobs and things settled that way. Then we moved to Tremonton which was closer to work. As of now we have lived here for about 6 months and are for the most part pleased with it. Jordon is now working in Corinne and I am once again a stay at home mom and loving it most days.
We signed our oldest two up for soccer this Spring (or late winter whichever you consider it) and it has brought a few things to light for us. First is that our kids are just not athletic. Our oldest has done the best out of the 2, but he tends to tire pretty quick while playing a regular soccer game. He likes to stay out of the way of the ball and doesn't run around much. He is telling us he wants to play baseball this summer, but I'm not sure he realizes how much running is required for that sport as well.
Our daughter was also signed up for soccer. She was completely stoked about it until we went the first day. We showed up to practice and she clammed right up. Didn't want to play at all now. One of the coaches got her to kick the ball back and forth with him. Then it was game time. She didn't want to play the first period so she sat out with me. The second period she decided she wanted to play so in she went. After about 3 minutes she decided she was done and didn't really play much after that. She hasn't played since or practiced. While fighting her one day to go she was silent and resisting as much as she possibly could. Jordon pointed out to me that maybe she had anxiety over it all. For about 6 months before that I had been working as well and the kids were in daycare. During those 6 months Ashley did not say a single word to any of the adults watching her. In fact if there was an adult around she wouldn't even talk to other kids. After the fight over soccer I decided to look for some info. on this issue and hopefully some answers or ideas of how to fix it. A little amount of time later I found an answer. There is a social anxiety disorder called Selective Mutism where kids will not talk around adults. My daughter is also supposed to start Kindergarten this Fall. I took her to her Kindergarten Assessment and as you guessed it she wouldn't say a word. She even stopped talking for about an hour later that night after we told her dad about it. This is why I am now going to try homeschooling for school this year.
My son struggled during his 1st grade year at school. Towards the end of the school year we started wondering if ADD was the reason. When he started 2nd grade this year the problems continued so we had him tested. We were told what we suspected. He has ADHD. After we were told this his teacher has been super with working with him on it. But where he will be starting a new school year with a different teacher it makes me wonder if we will just be starting over with him and his problems next year too. So that is why I am homeschooling him next year too.
I always told myself that I wouldn't home school my kids because they need the social aspect and because they would drive me crazy, but hopefully they won't drive me crazy and the school I have signed them up with has clubs and activities which they will be participating in. I think they will have more one on one socializing with kids than they do now. I guess we'll see how it all goes. I'm really excited to try it out though.

1 comment:

AmyGale said...

It's about time!! Thanks for the update even though you already told me all this during the weekend... :)